The Palazzo Albizzini “Burri Collection” Foundation was founded in 1978 by Alberto himself
Burri, with a first donation, endowed it with thirty-two works. It was recognised by decree of the President of the Regional Council of Umbria and took the name of the building that hosts it.
The Collection at Palazzo Albizzini was opened to the public in December 1981 and includes about one hundred and thirty works from 1948 to 1989, arranged chronologically in twenty rooms. Together with the other exhibition venue of the Ex Seccatoi del Tabacco inaugurated in July 1990, which houses 128 works from 1970 to 1993, it is the most exhaustive collection on the artist, with works of the highest quality selected by the painter himself. At the Foundation there are: the library, rich in material relating to modern and contemporary art (which can be consulted upon prior written request by students and scholars), the photo library, which collects all the documentation concerning Alberto Burri’s work, and the archive, which contains an exhaustive bibliography on the artist. The Foundation periodically organises conferences on ancient, modern and contemporary art, updating conferences on contemporary art in collaboration with authoritative parallel national and international institutions, collaborates directly and indirectly in the publication of exhibition catalogues of the artist’s works, and is responsible for the publication of the Collection’s catalogues and brochures. He edited the volume “Burri – Contributions to the Systematic Catalogue” (1990).